Monday, June 23, 2014

Full

DSCF4972a

DSCF4973a

DSCF4966a

The weekend.  I have the best weekends around here these days, with my clan all around me and friends and wine and long bike rides beside the canal (my legs are utterly shattered today, ugh; must move around more) and lemon sorbet and strawberry pie, and a cold, sweet watermelon and an enormous steak cooked for me by my boy on his own birthday.  I eat steak roughly never, and can hardly make a dent in one, but it was tender, both literally and figuratively.  My boy will cook his mom a steak, and you can cut it with your fork. There were hours spent in the sun with a book (more Ann Patchett, who will teach you how to write if you listen) and a still-small but new and interesting crochet project.  I worked on the black and white quilt top, then went out to spent an hour cleaning in the attic, where I came across a bag of muslin fabric scraps inside which was a half-pieced block from the very same black and white quilt (what?) and the entire still-folded piece of backing fabric, which has spent thirteen years sitting out there waiting for me, which I don’t remember having, and which revealed itself on the exact day I needed it.  Slightly miraculous, but it’s been one of those weeks.  I made the jersey knit skirt without the mathy pattern and then wore it and it was perfect, and I felt the full strength of my own ability to know what I want.  The doctor fixed the brakes on the car.  The cat had a bath, to which he submits with controlled rage, but which fluffs him up like a baby bunny.  We basked in the full-on summer-ness of June.  These days of breakfast outdoors and eating barely-ripe cherries straight from the tree are what I dream about when the snow is blowing against the kitchen windows and we huddle miserably against it.  I am full to overflowing.

You’ll want this pie recipe.  Believe me.  Make it now, when the berries are good. 

Strawberry Honey Pie

1 1/2 quarts strawberries from the farm, roadside stand, or your garden 

1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon honey (or 1 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar, if you must)

3 tablespoons cornstarch

1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened

1 baked 9” pastry crust.

Make your favorite pastry crust, and bake it empty.  While it cools, wash, hull and mash enough strawberries to make 1 cup.  Wash and hull the remaining berries and set them aside.  Mix 1/4 cup honey and mashed berries into a saucepan and heat gently, stirring.  Make a slurry with the cornstarch and 1/2 cup water, and whisk it in to the berry mixture.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.  Cool.  Beat the cream cheese until smooth and add 1 tablespoon honey.  Spread the cream cheese mixture into the cooled crust.  Fill with the remaining whole berries, arranging them in circles, and then pour the cooked berry mixture over the top.  Refrigerate 3 hours, or until well-chilled.  Devour. 

15 comments:

  1. Lovely attic find. Looks like a lovely recipe. Lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like 'the force' has been strong with you this week :) I've noted down your delicious recipe and will make that this weekend for a treat, sounds smashing.

    jean x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaahhh your summer sounds luscious so far. Isn't it nice to have the kids home? I'm liking the picture of black and white quilt blocks and then the colored crochet blocks right behind it. Striking!
    Must make that pie before the strawberries disappear.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh I have lots of strawberries in the garden at the moment. Thanks Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a great week, especially with finding the quilt pieces!! It is looking great. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes the best finds come from the attic!!! So why was it put there in the first place?!! Enjoy your lovely weather!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't think of a better weekend. How wonderful! And thank you for the pie recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Strawberry honey pie sounds perfect. I must try it. We have lots of strawberries ripening right now and we keep our own bees so have honey too. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Serendipity is one of my favourite words. How serendipitous to find the backing fabric when you need it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That strawberry pie recipe sounds so good!!!!! I might just have to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love that black and white quilt - does the pattern have a name? Are you going to outline quilt around the black shapes? It's so visually powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the quilt is beautiful! I found your blog via, threestorieshigh , and I love it I read a years worth of blog post anf think your knits are stunning!
    Frankie
    http://www.knitwits-owls.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found your blog via a blog hop, and I love it! ive reada years worth of posts and think your knits are stunning
    Frankie
    http://www.knitwits-owls.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the recipe! I will be making that one for sure! You got a lot done..I enjoy knowing others have chores to do too. Sometimes bloggers make it sound like they must have full time maids and butlers as they craft the day away. I'd rather visit blogs that present a more balanced view of life which is why I love yours. I like so many things...sewing, crocheting, knitting, cooking, eating, nature...I think it would be very boring to me to do only one thing all the time....but then maybe I would become proficient at something? LOL! Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete