Monday, June 9, 2014

Alice’s Skirt

DSCF4909a

I once had an after school babysitting job working for some hippies.  Well, he was an architect, so I don’t know—they had all the “Foxfire” books and their kitchen glassware was homemade using ginger ale bottles.  The kids and dogs all had names that made you think of Olivia Newton-John songs.  They had carob-chip cookies and a bathtub full of spider plants.  They were hippies with money, which seems kind of ideal to me.  Anyway, they had some curtains made of burlap, undoubtedly crafted by some artiste one of them knew, or maybe purchased at an art fair, but their living room curtains looked like this skirt.  I kept thinking of them the whole time I was working on it, wondering if they still remember the time the little kids ended up walking downtown by themselves when I forgot to go get them at the bus stop because I was all engrossed in watching Phil Donahue. 

DSCF4910a

So this is the Sunshine Skirt, by Mari Lynn Patrick.  The third time was the charm, but it was still sort of a struggle.  It is meant to be worked in two panels with gradual decreases at both edges, and then seamed at the sides, but I just couldn’t make it work.  I wanted this skirt, though, so I kept trying, and eventually decided to work it in one piece, in the round, and just figure it out as I went.  I started with double the chains given in the pattern, marked the two sides, and joined to form a circle.  Then I just worked the different stitch patterns as given, eliminating all the instructions for side shaping and instead just winging some decreases.  I just kind of decreased occasionally, and I did not keep any notes about where or how.  I found a skirt I already had that is known to fit me well and put it on the work table, and now and then would lay the crocheted skirt over it, to check that my shaping was approximately close.  I tried to remember to turn the work after every round, but sometimes I forgot.  I don’t think it matters.  When I got to the top, I ran a twisted cord through the last row of loops, and tied it at the front.  See the bizarrely foreshortened view, below:

DSCF4921a

It, obviously, is made of crochet, and therefore is full of holes, and therefore, obviously, must be worn with something underneath it.  I’m still on the hunt for something perfect, and I might have to make my own, but for now, the black jersey skirt underneath is working pretty well.

DSCF4914a

There was originally another panel of the scallops at the waist, but after blocking, it was way too long, so I unraveled that part and presto.  It fits perfectly.  Almost as if it were made to fit me…oh, that’s right, it was!  I love crochet.  

DSCF4919a

I used three skeins of Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine in color 1208—call it “Pale Burlap”—and a US F crochet hook.  I might make a gray one now.  I think I finally have this pattern figured out. 

29 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I've never seen anything like this, very unique. You must have the patience of a saint... I don't think I would have had your perseverance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so lovely!! I hope that you love wearing it. It is amazing how fast you make things, you must have fingers with wings on them! Years - decades! - ago I worked for some rather upperclass rich people with hippie tendencies and they had sort of oaty coloured burlap curtains - at the two windows with curtains in the whole house. It must have been the thing to have!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen....you did it! It looks terrific on you and so versatile :~) mari

    ReplyDelete
  4. It fits like a dream and looks great ;))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it looks fantastic, and I enjoyed the hippie info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. waaaoooh ! Really beautiful ! Great work !

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome! I belly dance and we wear these floppy trouser/pant thingys and they would look great under it. Like this..
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tribal-Dancing-Costume-Trousers-Bottom/dp/B0083P37AO

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's absolutely stunning, and even more so for you knowing that you made it yourself! I think it would look great with an ivory colored long half-slip. (They are commonly found over here int he U.S...not sure where you are.) Then some leather or gold gladiator sandals, and you are set! Oh, and get you stack of bangle bracelets to wear with it too. Very, very cool! I love hippy, boho stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! An ivory half-slip sounds like the perfect solution, and I love the sandals and bangles, too--you get me. :)

      Delete
  9. How about pairing it with black leggings? I think that would look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try that--still felt a bit nekkid... ;)

      Delete
  10. Very clever to figure your own way through the pattern :)
    Looks fab!
    www.thequietstitcher.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous finish. You wear it well missus!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful the skirt is! I am totally impressed by your skills!

    ReplyDelete
  13. so pretty!


    I think I'd like it with the underskirt stopped just above where the pattern changes for the last time, so the bottom edge is the crochet, with nothing but leg behind it

    brown would be nice under it, enough for contrast, but not too much to take away the gorgeous stitch-work


    ~Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  14. You always impress me with how clever you are at working things out for yourself. This skirt looks stunning on you - am pretty envious of your figure as well as the skirt actually! Love it.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh. Great job figuring that out! I do the same thing..Just kinda wing things when I'm lost.:)..I'm not a perfectionist, so it's all good.
    I agree with the bangles and the slip stopping before the skirt ends..Better to show off the great work:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've started crocheting a skirt but left it aside to do some blankets. Also, I admit to not working on it because I'll have to make up the shaping as I go along. Hopefully I'll be able to work it out as well as you have.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What they didn't have any macrame curtains? I had a very tall entry window I made a macrame hanging for. Looped the twine over the curtain rod and worked my way down. Wish I still had that. It was a work of art. I also remember I macramed a purse- still have it somewhere. lol Helen

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did a fantastic job Kristen! Keep on truckin!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely amazing, I love it.
    Well done my friend.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  20. gorgeous! the pale burlap looks fantastic over the black.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, it's perfect, I lovely it. The textures are fantastic, and it's so beautifully made. It looks really good on you. A triumph!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow, it's beautiful! Not like curtains at all, though I don't know what the curtains looked like....really wonderful work, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a success!! It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it. Now i want to make one too! There was a husband and wife that lived two doors down from my grandmother when i was young. They grew bamboo and made flutes out of it. Decorated their house with bottles and glass windchimes and made dandelion salads. I have been a hippie at heart ever since. This skirt reminds me of that sweet lady.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Definitely a hit Kristen!!! just love the variety of patterns on it and squares. I rather like the black underneath and also that it overlaps the crochet overskirt...perhaps with a black lace trim on the underskirt...just a thought!!!

    keep well
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, so pretty, fantastic!! ♥ Have a good week :-).
    Nata xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Find best business plan from home without any work, just invest $1 and get 120% Total Profit within a week
    EarningsClub.Com

    ReplyDelete