Thursday, January 9, 2014

Rewinding

DSCF4163a

It’s always a surprise that it feels so good to unravel something that didn’t work out.  This cowl, crocheted in a Madelinetosh Light onesie called French Grey, was just not what I hoped.   The yarn is so pretty and it was great fun to make it, but when I put it on, it looked like I was wearing one of those cones that keeps a dog from chewing on his stitches. That yarn is way too nice to be a regret, so away to the winder it went, and the Madtosh lives to be crocheted another day.

DSCF4138a

This was going to be a Foliolum, and I worked on it forEVer, and it was turning out perfectly well, but all the while I kept thinking Why am I making this?  Who is it for?  Where will it go when I’m done? I felt like it would probably just go on the shelf and stay there.  Foliolum is pretty, but I just wasn’t in love.  I started it when I just wanted to be startin’ something.  You know.  Then I made this goof, an extra row where there shouldn’t have been one:

DSCF4135a

…and because I didn’t really care about the project, I kept going for another foot and a half, thinking it wouldn’t bug me. It really did bug me, though, and then I realized I didn’t even want this scarf, and that I wouldn’t give it away either, not with a big mistake in the middle of it, so I turned it back into two skeins of lilac-gray Araucania Ranco, and now it can be whatever it was really meant to be. 

DSCF4145a

Dang, that just feels good.  Cleaning house! 

Here’s something good, something that’s not being unraveled:

DSCF4129a

Big, lovely, loose cables in a softly luxurious yarn, aw yeah.  More on this to come.  I know it seems super obvious, but from now on, I’m only making stuff I want to make. 

22 comments:

  1. I agree, from now on I'm making what I want. Oh well, let's face it, it's probably going to be for the new grand babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a couple of projects like that recently. They've sat there bugging me and making me cross but as soon as I'd unravelled them it felt so good. I like the look of yor big loose cables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that! I agree; it feels very cleansing to unwind something you started and no longer want. And it's a shame to waste good yarn on such a project. Your big loose cables are looking great so far.
    Blessings,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good to unravel. No good to continue something that doesn't bring you joy :0) I like the cables... very pretty :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been trying to practice my knitting and you should see how many times I've ripped the whole thing out. It's just cheap acrylic yarn but I would imagine the yarn would be totally ruined by now if I were using something nicer. Good for you for realizing you weren't happy and saving the yarn to make something else that you'll really love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kristen
    I completely agree that the colours of these yarns are too beautiful to not be used - I'm sure the right thing will come along soon !
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you for frogging. If you are not happy you won't ever use or wear the item, so you might as well turn it into something else sooner rather than later. I think it is good that you had the courage to say no and undo it it all! I wonder what the yarn will turn into in the end? xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  9. "from now on, I’m only making stuff I want to make" <- I think that's a great philosophy to have. We only get so much time in our lives for crafting, life's too short to make something you're not enjoying

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done for cleaning house! I need to do this...

    - J

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a sucker for plodding on..look at my post today... just not happening for me at the moment. Love those floppy cables. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think there's a reason that so many projects sit unfinished; they just aren't right for right now. Might as well frog - I get less guilt from that than staring at a pile of WIPs. Loving all those shades of grey that you are using.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Exactly! Not two days ago I did something similar. Knitting time is too short to waste on projects that don't feel right, especially with MadelineTosh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I often unravel stuff I admit... either because of stupid mistakes or because I just don't feel strongly for the project.
    I believe that I have to be truly satisfied with a project, and not just ok with it.
    No yarn shall be wasted on not loved stuff!
    I have made a pair of socks just the other day where I have made a mistake in the cable at the start of the sock, just can't forget it. I should totally have unravelled it! But instead I finished it.. very annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  15. well done you! I adopted that motto as well. just now there is a project in the freezer waiting to be unraveled (freezing helps sticky fibers to separate easier).
    your new knit looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It feels good to let a project go so it can end up being what it really wanted to be. Frogging is not a bad thing.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful yarns, I love the colours you choose. Well done for unravelling the things you weren't keen on. You can have fun choosing new projects now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've just been doing this around the house! Who wears this scarf? No one? more wool for me! I've been making these things for the kids and Husband, and they say they love them, but end up never wearing them. I'm all for reclaiming under appreciated yarn. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good one you! I should be doing this at some point as well but lately I was just giving everything away so I there was nothing which I could unravel again. Even there are lots of things especially the early day creations ;) Call me crazy but I see skirt potential in your unraveled cowl :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad I'm not the only one that "knits and rips" (that's my new name for it) - I could turn it into a whole new trend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. More more and more lovely things to admire..just love your work!
    Xo
    dagmar

    ReplyDelete
  22. I find it is so easy to be enticed by a pretty pattern using lovely wool, a one skein project maybe. The practicalities don't come into it.... who is it for, will I use it and so on, I just want to make this pretty whatever. But then I start to get misgivings, dissatisfaction about it all...why am I wasting my time making it, too little time too many projects/books to read and so on. And like you, I will unpick it, stash the wool on the shelf and wait until something comes along that I want to make for a purpose, either for myself or a friend. And it always does.

    ReplyDelete