Thursday, March 8, 2012

Moonlight scarf

 

100_9920a

One summer night, when I was young, a boy came to my door and asked me to go for a walk with him, and we walked for miles and miles together down the moonlit country roads, holding hands and falling in love along the way.  For some reason, I thought of that night as I made this scarf, and how I wore a gauzy white dress that glowed in the dark, and how as the night got chilly, his hand in mine was so warm.

100_9919a

This little scarf makes me think, too, of outdoor concerts in August.   I want to kick off my sandals and lie on a quilt in the warm darkness, looking at the stars and listening to Judy Collins play her guitar.  (I did this once.  It was holy.) 

100_9923a

The pattern is my own, devised as an experiment.  I worked on this every day for a week, and got as far as the very last repeat on the edging—two inches from the finish line, friends, with ten minutes of knitting remaining—and ran out of yarn.  I meant to take a picture of that, the urgent scarf with its ten remaining stitches and the sad, frayed length of yarn that was left, but I was crumpled by it, and also it was eleven o’clock at night.  Which is not too late an hour to quickly order more yarn--a crusher, since I only needed about another five yards, but it must be done, and when it arrived yesterday, I sat down for half a second and finished the edging. 

100_9905a

Then I soaked it in the sink and pinned it out to dry overnight.  That wishbone shape is the result of my experiment—I wanted to know what would happen if I increased at both ends of every row, instead of just every right side row, and now I know.   It makes a wishbone shape.  Not unlovely; a little bit interesting. 

100_9927a

Perfect for summer, which really will be here soon.  Maybe we’ll go for a walk. 

26 comments:

  1. It's beautiful, and worth all your hard work.

    Enjoy your moonlit walk! :)

    Fleur xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think you should go for a walk :) What beautiful thoughts went into the making of this beautiful scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty and I love the story of the moonlit walk that goes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its beautiful Kristen, so delicate, pretty and romantic - and what a lovely story too - a beautiful memory for you.

    I'm glad you managed to finish it - what a frustrating thing to happen, so close to the end!

    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is heavenly! So were the memories it evoked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy, running out of yarn at the finish line would be almost unbearable! It sure is a beautiful scarf, good for you creating your own pattern. The moon is pretty full this week, maybe you could take it out for a test drive (walk) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that wishbone shape, I've never seen a scarf that shape before and the yarn you have chosen is just so lovely. I would have been tempted to undo the last few stitches and stitch them a bit tighter to finish it with the yarn you had! Well done for creating such a beautiful item, hope you enjoy wearing it on that moonlit walk. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. stunning! You should be a writer...I am drawn in everytime...I am taking a lace knitting class online hope to make something this beautiful someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very beautiful. You are clever! I could never invent such a pattern in a million years. It's a lovely shape and it drapes perfectly. What lovely memories too.

    How infuriating that you got so close to the magic finish. I have realised that my things often go wrong right at the end. The very last kitchener stitch, that then has you unmuddling for the next 3 hours or I messed up the very first stitch of my blanket border as I was slip stitching the very last stitch into it - it all had to be undone. Now I clench my teeth as I approach the finishing line and hope I really am!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its a really beautiful and unique shape. Well done and what a romantic story. Lily xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your scarf, the story that you wove around it's creation and your memories are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  12. truly gorgeous and wonderfully feminine. Great design.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hola Kristen Feliz día de la mujer !!!! Que hermoso tu relato es como un cuento de hadas ☺ y espero que tu chico hoy te invite nuevamente a festejar el día de la mujer jaja y porsupuesto con tu chalina hermosa, es muy hermosa besos Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very romantic thing to own and a very clever, clever thing to have designed and made.
    Love it.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely summer scarf - so neat and tidy too. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful, romantic post! I adore your design hon - it's completely gorgeous. Miss 4 is sitting beside me just now and she asked if I could make her one just like it. Sadly the answer was,
    "Sorry honey not a chance. How about a hat - I can do hats?". Have a fab weekend hon.
    Leah
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love this post, love your story and love your shawl too. i've done the same thing, increasing at both ends, and run out with yards to go. great you were able to get more yarn, and finish this beauty.
    will you share the pattern? what wool did you use? i'm in love with the creamy white.

    p.s. i just realized we have both made leah's lovely cardigan, i saw your avatar next to it in ravelry!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So lovely! and really so nice accessory to the summer outfit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is absolutely perfect, I love the shape and the story behind it. Lovely!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  20. The moonlight has been absolutely gorgeous lately and your shawl is equally beautiful. The things you come up with from that little noggin' of yours. :) Gorgeous! Have a wonderful weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  21. So lovely!!! My Mom was in love with the scarf!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous...gorgeous...just gorgeous...I want to make one!!!

    ReplyDelete